1. Kennett Consolidated School District (abbreviated as KCSD) is a large, suburban, public school district serving portions of Chester County, Pennsylvania. The district encompasses approximately 35 square miles. According to 2000 federal census data, it serves a resident population of 27,124. According to District officials, in school year 2007-08 the KCSD provided basic educational services to 4,128 pupils. It employed 320 teachers, 207 full-time and part-time support personnel, and 16 administrators. Kennett Consolidated School District received more than $10.1 million in state funding in school year 2007-08.
Kennett Consolidated School District was ranked 108th out of 498 Pennsylvania school districts in 2012 by the Pittsburgh Business Times. The ranking was based on the last three years of student academic performance on the PSSAs for: math, reading, writing and science. The PSSAs are given to all children in grades 3rd through 8th and the 11th grade in high school. Adapted examinations are given to children in the special education programs.
- 2011 – 121st
- 2010 – 144th
- 2009 – 158th
- 2008 – 197th
- 2007 – 194th out of 501 school districts
In 2012, the Pittsburgh Business Times also reported an Overachievers Ranking for 498 Pennsylvania school districts. Kennett Consolidated School District ranked 44th. In 2011, the District was ranked 103rd.
Visit the official School District website here.
- Greenwood Elementary
- Mary D. Lang Elementary
- New Garden Elementary
- Kennett Middle School
- Kennett High School
2. Township Information
- Borough of Kennett Square
- Kennett Township
- New Garden Township
- Southern portion of East Marlborough Twp
3. About Kennett Square Community – The Kennett Consolidated School District covers a geographical area of thirty-three square miles and is located in the southeastern part of Chester County, which is one of the fastest growing counties in the east. District boundaries are the State of Delaware on the south, Route #1 on the north, Route #52 on the east, and Route #41 on the west.
The Borough of Kennett Square is located at the geographic center (intersection of Routes #1 and #82) and provides the economic hub for the area served by the schools of the District. The Borough has a business center containing a full range of retail and service stores as well as professional offices to serve this suburban-rural community. Major shopping and commercial centers located in West Chester, Pennsylvania, and the cities of Wilmington and Newark, Delaware, are accessible easily to School District residents for shopping and employment.
Approximately 20% of the employed people living in the School District are involved with agriculture (mushrooms primarily), 31% in manufacturing, and 20% in commercial activities. The remaining 29% are involved in diversified activities such as finance, transportation, construction, public employment, and educational services. A relatively small percentage of the total employed population actually works within the boundaries of the School District.
The Kennett Area Park and Recreation Board provides out-of-school, year-round recreational opportunities for children between the ages of six and eleven. It also operates the community swimming pool, one of the finest facilities of its kind in the area.
Residents of the District have available to them the Bayard Taylor Memorial Library and the major attraction of the area, Longwood Gardens